Recipe: Wild Mushroom and Truffle Risotto
- 20/30g fresh black truffle or a drizzle of truffle oil
- 500g assorted fresh mushrooms, roughly cut in similar-sized pieces
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 250g Arborio risotto rice
- 100ml white wine
- 750ml vegetable stock, plus more if needed
- Olive oil
- 50g Parmesan, or vegetarian alternative, grated
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- To begin the risotto, use 50g of the butter to fry the mushrooms in a saucepan until light brown in colour. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until soft for a further 30 seconds.
- Stir in the rice and cook until transparent.
- Pour in the wine and stir in well.
- Add stock a little at a time, stirring constantly until all is absorbed and creamy and the rice is cooked. Add more stock if the rice is still slightly undercooked.
- Season with sea salt and freshly milled pepper. Add little olive oil and the remaining 50g butter.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and finish with a drizzle of truffle oil or shavings or fresh truffle on top.
For wholesome and comforting British classics this autumn, enjoy dinner at The Stables.